- Petitions Received and Heard within the month of June 2021
- Petitions Received and Heard Within the Month of May 2021
- Petitions Received and Heard Within the Month of April 2021
- Petitions Received and Heard Within the month of March 2021
- Petitions Received and Heard Within the month of February, 2021
The House Committee on Public Petitions provides a mechanism for citizens to bring their complaints against public institutions free from the financial burden and formality of a court system
PETITIONS RECEIVED AND HEARD BY THE COMMITTEE
Most Frequent Questions and Answers
There are no costs for presentation or submission of a petition.
No, e-petitions are not allowed at the moment. The Committee only handles petitions sent to it in hard copies.
The procedures for determination of petitions by House of Representatives Committee on Public Petitions are not formally laid out. The Committee may adopt any procedure that is most convenient and expeditious in the handling of a particular petition. However, the Committee is also guided by the basic principles of natural justice, which means that both parties would be afforded the opportunity to present their case.
The Committee conducts investigative hearings/sittings on Petitions at any of the committee rooms of the National Assembly. There are no specific days for the Committee hearings/sittings. Hearings are generally open to the public, except on sensitive and national security matters.
The Committee is generally mandated to investigate petitions from Nigerians on any issue or matter that falls within its jurisdiction. The jurisdiction of the Committee includes:
- OVERSIGHT OF THE PUBLIC COMPLAINTS COMMISSION;
- CONSIDERING THE SUBJECT MATTER OF ALL PETITIONS REFERRED TO IT; AND
- ANNUAL BUDGET ESTIMATES
The Committee has no jurisdiction in matters such as private contractual issues between two private citizens. In such instances, the Committee is expected to dismiss the petition or make recommendations for its referral to an appropriate body with the approval of the House.